4/16/2020 WORD for Today:
Jehovah is God over the Sun and Moon, and is God over our Time
Read Joshua 10:1-15
THE BACKGROUND PDF Version
The reputation of Israel’s God was moving quickly. How the mighty city of Jericho had fallen into complete destruction was not lost on its neighbors. The nearby people of Gibeon soon made a peace treaty with Joshua. This development was not received well by Gibeon’s neighbors, however, and the five nearby kings of the Amorites joined forces, surrounded, and attacked Gibeon (Israel’s new ally).
Naturally, Gibeon sent word quickly, ‘Hey, new friend, don’t leave us now, come quickly and save us as all the people around us have banded together and attacked us!’
Joshua’s entire army, including the Mighty Men of valor, would respond quickly.
Verse 8: “The LORD said to Joshua, ‘Do not be afraid of them, for I have given them into your hands. Not one of them shall stand against you.’ (What an amazing proclamation! What assurance to hear from Almighty God!)
After that Word from God, Joshua and his men had the strength and courage to march all night long. They catch the 5 attacking armies by surprise. (v9)
- GOD IS THE ONE WHO THEN THROWS THE ENEMIES INTO TOTAL CONFUSION. (v10)
- THEN Israel defeats them in a GREAT SLAUGHTER before Gibeon, chasing them down to Beth-horon, striking them all the way to Azekah and Makkedah.
- As the Israel chases the enemy, GOD IS PEPPERING THE ENEMY WITH HUGE HAILSTONES THE WHOLE WAY (more died from hailstones than Israel’s swords. v11)
- Joshua spoke TO THE LORD in the presence of Israel: (v12)
- “O sun, stand still over Gibeon, O moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.” So the sun stood still and the moon stopped until the nation took vengeance upon its enemies...about a full day! (v13)
There has been no day like it before or since, when the LORD listened to the voice of a man, because the LORD fought for Israel. Then Joshua returned with all Israel to the camp at Gilgal. (v14-15)
“Because THE LORD FOUGHT for Israel… Joshua returned WITH ALL ISRAEL to the camp….”
I’m not sure I can even count the number of miracles that are captured in these few verses. (8-15). Anyone want to take a stab at it? (Pun intended.)
VICTORY STARTED WITH CONVERSATION
The key to this is where it begins! NONE of this happens without an EMPHASIS ON PRAYER!
Prayer – (simplest definition) Communion or conversation with God. Conversation is dialogue, two-way.
- ALL of GOD’s incredible miracles came ONLY AFTER Joshua HEARD God’s incredible assurance and THEN Joshua led his people in an all-night march.
- In my mind, Joshua would not have had the faith to pursue this lopsided fight, IF he had not heard God’s wonderful assurance in verse 8. (Would you or I?)
IF he wasn’t talking to GOD (conversing, in prayer) how would he have heard this
- How different would this story be, if he had decided to make it a brief conversation only, or if he had skipped talking to God altogether and thus had never heard God say any of the words we read in verse 8?
DO WE DO THIS?
If we sometimes feel (especially ‘pre-pandemic’) that we are so pressed for time that the words ‘let’s pray real quick’ or ‘I guess we’ll have to make time to pray’ or ‘we’re already late, there’s no time to pray’ have ever even crossed our lips, may we now say, “OH Heavenly Father, PLEASE forgive us!!”
Are we forgetting WHO we are talking to when we pray??
The next question we MUST ask ourselves is: When ELSE are we supposed to hear our charge from our Master? Where else do we hear the commands from our Redeemer who wants to lead us into victory?
Whose victory are we choosing to try to win with, ours, or His?
WHAT IS OUR ANSWER?
Brothers and Sisters! Let us remember this: He who created this world, and can make the sun and moon stand still, IS ALSO THE SAME GOD WHO HAS TOTAL VICTORY over everything you and I face today, and is waiting to give us instructions for our victory also!
The ONLY thing He is waiting on now is whether you and I will decide to have a conversation with Him.
When the Cross, the Torn Veil, and the Empty Tomb are our everlasting proof that Conversation is the most important thing to Him…it really is up to us to make the statement in return on what WE think of the conversation.
If He is waiting to give us our charge, (our instructions), may we be willing to hear Him and have the courage to follow Him into the victories He has planned for us! Let us place our conversation with Him in the priority He places on it!
To pray or not to pray. It is not just the question. It is also our answer.
Keep posted as we prayerfully work to diligently bring you what God provides for this space.
We are looking to add some Family geared resources including devotional studies and videos for all ages and are evaluating the logistics of integrating RightNow media access to this page.